Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bon Voyage


This morning, while packing for tonight's flight to London, I had an appalling thought. Due to our ridiculously complicated itinerary, which I've spent months not exactly perfecting, there will be eight more times when I have to cram everything I could possibly want into that suitcase. Granted, packing what you've already brought is MUCH easier than deciding what to pack. I'm trying to channel Allie and plan adorable outfits, but with temperature variations of as much as forty degrees it gets a little complicated. Actually, that is just like our local weather, so I'm theoretically used to it. Currently we have 55 degrees with a howling wind. Drive fifteen minutes from here and by this afternoon it could be in the eighties.

I have a new suitcase which I'm very excited about. I'm not sure, but this may be my very first, just belonging to me, suitcase. A Victorinox, it is so highly evolved that I don't really understand how it works with all the special features. Reminds me of when we got our front- loading washing machine which came with a demonstration video. Needless to say, I never watched the video and I think I've packed the way I always do. Unzip every fold and squish a bunch of stuff in. It's got to be better than the time Lucy and I went to Europe and we each travelled with a nylon Gap duffel bag. Talk about cumbersome. Never again will I roam without wheels.

I keep urging Eric to take more clothes and he is imploring me to take less. I am not an extremist, but my packing philosophy is "more is the new less". I have never once arrived at a destination and wished I hadn't brought something, but many times I've wished I had some clothing that I happen to own, but left at home. Like in Chicago. Never believe the weather report. We were both so unprepared for the early fall chill that we had to buy North-face zip up jackets and I got some slacks. There will be a slight problem bringing back gifts on this trip. There is already no room. I may have to pitch some dirty clothes in Spain.

Out destinations are not exactly primitive, and we can buy whatever we need when we get there. We're not roughing it. Our idea of camping in Yosemite is staying at the Awahnee Hotel, not Curry Village. No fleabag hotels for us, although I guess bedbugs can be anywhere. As challenging as it is to mobilize for the trip, it will be so good to get away. It's my first time in England, the family homeland. My immigrant ancestor, Captain John Partridge, departed from Navestock, England in 1650. Watch out, England, we're coming back.

Feel free to email me with brilliant tourist suggestions for London, The Cotswolds, Valencia or Barcelona. Or even how to meet the Royals, although we've already done Charles and Camilla up close and personal. They were touring organic gardens in West Marin and finished their tour in Pt. Reyes. We drove out there on Eric's motorcycle and ended up not ten feet from England's dorkiest couple. Kids, don't try this at home. Lucy was right. Motorcycles aren't very safe which we found out the hard way. Stay safe, in all your adventures, and if I can surmount my technical challenges I'll try to post from the road. Adios, amigos.

Wendypcrowe@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment